Saturday, October 20, 2007

Heineken World Bottles


I just saw this article at Inhabitat, and I thought it was kind of awesome. In 1963, the owner of Heineken conceptualized this World Bottle (WOBO) - a beer bottle in its first use, and a building material in its second. He worked with architect John Habraken to design the shape; they made some plans for structures, but I'm not sure they ever built them.

The more I learn about the recycling process, the more I believe we should just consume less. Yeah, recycling plastic and paper is great, but you'd save a lot of time and energy if you just used less packaging in the first place or made stuff people want to reuse. I keep thinking of those old tea and cookie tins my mom collected - they're beautiful reminders of history, vintage graphic styles, and the ease of life before blister packaging.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I completely agree. Why haven't we thought of things like this before? DRINK AND BUILD; HAVE FUN AND BE CONSTRUCTIVE/PRODUCTIVE.