Thursday, December 27, 2007

Baggage Claim

Yes, I'll take them all.

Valextra.

My sister is in town for a few weeks, and she's on the hunt for luggage. I started snooping around on the internet for timeless, durable pieces, but was quickly discouraged. I guess I like the trunks in the Samsonite Black collection, but on the whole, the market is geared towards someone else. I like the Valextra brand, but it's a little (okay, waaaaay) out of my price range. The briefcase above brings out this weird, covetous side of me...possibly similar to people who dream of fancy cars or fur coats. But dude - it's a briefcase. What's my problem?

Maybe the problem is my frustration with a market that has veered away from aesthetics in favor of perceived durability. I understand that we travel more frequently and that there is more machine assistance in the airports, but I feel like there must be a more handsome solution to our changing needs...ideally, one that looks more like a clever accessory than an oversized piece of coal with zippers.

Look at these handsome leather cases! I got this photo from the Arts and Crafts home, which features a nice history of the suitcase.

I know, I know - they don't have wheels...but I'm in the process of making a prototype solution. It may end up looking like those old-time rollerskates that you strap onto shoes, though hopefully more tasteful.

And yeah, I 'm aware they smell like mothballs inside. It's a problem. But look at the way the leather ages! It may get a little scuffed over time, but that can all be teased out with a little shoe polish.

So industrial designers and students, I beg you: reinvent the handsome travel case. Make it durable but simple, because in the end, it's just a box with wheels. It shouldn't cost a grand.

No comments: