Monday, March 3, 2008

Wesley Willis



(via the Art of Wesley Willis website)

The other night I went out to ATA to see a film called "Wesley Willis's Joy Rides." Wesley may be better known for his music (and his claims of rock stardom), but what I really liked was hearing more about his drawings.

Wesley was schizophrenic, but in the film his friends talked about how he wasn't a victim to his disability. He took all that he could out of life, and his interactions with people changed them forever. Someone in the film likened him to a mast, or a person who is so intoxicated with God that he may appear insane. In the film, there were shots of Wesley on the bus and at Kinko's, shouting at the voice in his head. His friends knew he wouldn't hurt anyone, but outsiders shied away, ducked their heads down, and backed up. It made me wonder about all of the people I see on the street: are we in the presence of masts?

Wesley knew what he wanted: he wanted to be an artist and a rock n roll star. The thing is, by introducing himself as those things, he eventually became them. I sometimes roll my eyes at people who tell me they're great artists, but I'm starting to think they might just be following Wesley's lead. Where's the line between arrogance and force of will?

No comments: