Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mushroom Dyes

During Sasha Duerr's lecture at our symposium yesterday, she talked about using mushrooms (and really, a whole bunch of other interesting plants and seeds) to dye fabric. These colors are amazing, and I was thinking about it a lot yesterday - how can I learn more about this, and how can I get these mushrooms? I guess there's some lady in Finland who teaches workshops (the image above came from her class), but there are some locals who seem to know a lot too. I found the Sonoma County Mycological Association's website and it has some great info. Their colors look a little more earthy than the ones Sasha showed, but I guess you have to start with what's locally available.

1 comment:

Tori Jacobs said...

Hi~~~

Do you know if mushroom dyes are safe for tattoos?

Thank you for your time and thoughts~

sincerely~ Tori